Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How can I register?
You can register via this website.
- How can I pay?
You can use the Dutch online payment system, iDeal.
- How to pay if living abroad and no Ideal payment available?
Please send us an email via: firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll gladly inform you about de possibilities.
- What if my chosen course is fully booked?
If you try to register for a course which is already fully booked, you will receive a notification of this on the website, and the option to join a waiting list. If a place becomes available or we organise an extra group, we will contact you.
If you have paid for a course which is already fully booked, we will return the money to your bank account.
- When do the next courses start?
New courses start regularly. Most courses start around September, January and May. Usually, lessons take place once a week and last one and a half hours. Alongside these standard courses, Volksuniversiteit Amsterdam also regularly offers more intensive courses and shorter conversation courses. Please see the full course programme for more information. All the courses except the beginnerscourses Dutch NT2 and some English courses are held in Dutch.
- I would like to work on my Arabic/German/Turkish/Swedish etc again, but am not sure what my level is.
At the beginning of September we organise a ‘language market’ (‘Talenmarkt’) for all courses starting in September. There will be teachers here who you can ask for advice. For some languages and for the Dutch Nt2 courses there are also intakes by telephone. Please pay attention that our courses are held in Dutch.
- Can I speak to a teacher directly to ask a question?
You can email your question to us and we will ensure that it reaches the appropriate teacher. Send your question to email@example.com.
We do not give teachers’ telephone numbers or email addresses to third parties.
- When does the new course programme appear online?
The autumn programme, with details of courses starting in the period from September to December, appears online mid-July.
The winter and spring programme of courses starting in the period January to June goes online in December.
In early May the programme of activities taking place in the summer months of July and August is announced.
- The course I want to take has already started, can I still join it? According to our policy you can miss two lessons. The third week is therefore the latest you can join the course. For most other courses our policy is that it is not possible to join the course once it has started. No discount will be given for any lessons missed.
- I have booked the wrong course by mistake, how can I change my online registration?
Please let us know about this by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org .You can also call us on (020) 626 16 26, Monday-Friday from 9:00-16:00. If you let us know what has gone wrong, a member of our team can change this for you.
- Does the fee for a language course include the books I will need?
No, you should buy the books yourself, before the start of the course. Full details of the books needed are listed in the course details. Click here for a list of recommended bookshops.
Do you have a question which we haven’t answered?
Email your question to email@example.com . We will respond within one working day.