Engelse Literatuur voor vergevorderden (C1/C2)
The English Literature Reading Group (C1/C2) is taught in English and open to students of all nationalities.
Do you love reading and discussing a good book in English? If so, we hope you will join us for our new and improved literature course. We are quietly confident that you will find our January theme, Walking, anything but pedestrian.
There are four ‘set books’ which you will need to obtain yourself:
• Robert Macfarlane: The Gifts of Reading
• HG Wells: The History of Mr Polly
• RL Stephenson: Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes
• Peter Ackroyd’s reworking of Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales
In addition, we will discuss a wealth of extracts and short pieces from writers such as William Wordsworth, Virginia Woolf, Laurie Lee, Patrick Fermor, Elizabeth Bishop and Rebecca Solnit.
Please read Robert Macfarlane’s essay, The Gifts of Reading, before the first session, when we will share our responses to this short introductory text and plan the homework/research tasks for the following week(s). During the course of the twelve weeks, each participant will take responsibility for a few brief (2-5 minutes) presentations of their findings. You are actively encouraged to contribute to the ensuing discussions on all topics, sharing your interpretation of what is in the text itself and explaining any relevant links to outside sources.
• Books: Robert Macfarlane: The Gifts of Reading; HG Wells: The History of Mr Polly; RL Stephenson: Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes; Geoffrey Chaucer and Peter Ackroyd: The Canterbury Tales: A Retelling by Peter Ackroyd.
The four books are available as a package from Waterstones for €30,-